Nice survey of higher end power supplies ...

Josip Loncaric josip at
Wed Jun 11 10:16:35 EDT 2003

Mark Hahn wrote:
> PF .74 on that machine, by the way.  I was kind of surprised,
> since it was a compaq deskpro.  pretty old, though, that's probably why.

Power factor is about 0.65 on my own machine.  I was kind of surprised
too.  According to Kill-a-watt, my 2.8 GHz P4 w/Asus motherboard, lots
of other goodies, and a 2002-vintage Antec PS dissipates 130-180 Watts
in operation depending on activity.  Another disappointment was its
"sleep" mode which dissipates 100 Watts (not much better than the 130 W
idle state).  When "off" it still uses 5 Watts...

P.S.  PF 0.65 means that at 180 W the machine draws about 270 VA.  This
VA rating is important when sizing UPS units.