Nice survey of higher end power supplies ...

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Wed Jun 11 09:03:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:

> one relevant and interesting factoid was that they claim the PS's
> all operate at about 70% efficiency.  it's a little hard to tell
> how they measured that, but I think it's at peak load.  it would
> be nice to know whether efficiency is better at sane/normal loads.

They could be confusing PF and efficiency (obviously NOT the same thing
at all).  To otherwise measure efficiency they'd have to put controlled
loads (e.g. big resistors, light bulbs) on all the various DC out lines
and measure power delivery to that load (relatively simple, VA = W for
DC) while measuring average power in.

The number is believable, though.

> I just received a pair of kill-a-watt's today, and am eager to
> plug things into them.  a PIII/833/i815 256M ram, 40G + 120G SATA
> demo machine I have here was around 50W.  but someone already
> made off with the single kill-a-watt I brought in ;)

Tell them to go buy their own.  For $40 or $50 delivered, why not?

Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at