Nice survey of higher end power supplies ...

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jun 10 20:31:31 EDT 2003

> etc.  There is a nice summary table at the end.  You can
> ask your supplier what they are using and then look at
> the table and say ... "I don't want that one." ;-)
>
> http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html

it's interesting, but I don't think it's all that useful.
for instance, how many of you have cluster nodes that need >400W PS's?
as usual THG seems mainly focused on satisfying the gamer/overclocker
that he's got Da B35t.

one relevant and interesting factoid was that they claim the PS's
all operate at about 70% efficiency.  it's a little hard to tell
how they measured that, but I think it's at peak load.  it would
be nice to know whether efficiency is better at sane/normal loads.

I just received a pair of kill-a-watt's today, and am eager to
plug things into them.  a PIII/833/i815 256M ram, 40G + 120G SATA
demo machine I have here was around 50W.  but someone already
made off with the single kill-a-watt I brought in ;)

PF .74 on that machine, by the way.  I was kind of surprised,
since it was a compaq deskpro.  pretty old, though, that's probably why.