Oddball networking question...

Mike Davis jmdavis at mail2.vcu.edu
Sun Jun 8 13:50:25 EDT 2003

The cisco switches support trunking (which is what you're looking for),
but I'm not sure if this ability is limited to only connections between
cisco products (the only way that I've done it). I would think that for
a small cluster, you wouldn't need to trunk the GigE, but your app may
be so disk intensive that it could be necessary.

My channel bonded clusters all use two switches rather than  a virtual
switch. But, I'm in the process of replacing the networking of these
older clusters with GigE. My new clusters were purchased with GigE.
Channel bonding even FastE offers good performance increases (up to
190Mb/sec) in netperf. The problems that I've had are occasional race
conditions leading to inetd dying and nodes locking up on occasion.

Good luck,

Mike