Oddball networking question...

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Sun Jun 8 12:00:07 EDT 2003

Currently, my small RedHat-based cluster is connected via 100Mb Ethernet
(small Cisco switch).

I'm adding another node to act as a dedicated NFS server and would like to get
as much bandwidth as possible between that system and the switch.

At this time, I'm not is a position to upgrade everything to GigE, but would
like to use a pair of GigE ports between the NFS server and the switch.

The Cisco switch is a 24 port 10/100 switch, but copper GigE cards are available
for the "option slots".

>From the reading I've done, Linux suports channel bonding; but all nodes would
require multiple Ethernet cards and also be running the bonding drivers.

I'm looking only to bond two GigE links between my NFS server and the switch.
Is this possible? If so, what's it called under Linux so I can read up on it?

TIA-

--- Cris

----
  Cristopher J. Rhea                      Mayo Foundation
  Research Computing Facility              Pavilion 2-25
  crhea at Mayo.EDU                        Rochester, MN 55905
  Fax: (507) 266-4486                     (507) 284-0587