HPC conference near Raleigh NC...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jun 7 14:29:33 EDT 2003

Dear Raleigh area beowulfers,

Just to let you know, there is a conference/workshop on HPC in the
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area next week at Wake Tech Community
College.  Wake Tech is one of several area colleges that are
participants in a major NSF project designed to foster training programs
for cluster administrators and programmers to meet what are (I think
correctly) perceived to be exponentially growing demand.  I've been
informally advising them through the grantseeking process, although I'm
not an actual participant.

They've got a nice list of speakers for Friday with tracks focussing on
bioinformatics (one of the major interests in this area with all the
genetics and drug projects and companies), infrastructure, and tools and
programming.  In addition some talks will focus on educational issues
that cluster users don't ordinarily focus on.

The conference is free, and will even provide complimentary meals to
people who register (so they can get a head count ahead of time).  Area
students are especially encouraged to attend.

The conference website is at:

  http://www.highperformancecomputing.org/wtcc/wtcc061203.html

and as of a few minutes ago still doesn't have the actual agenda posted.
I have a copy however (as I'm one of the speakers) and am putting a copy
at

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/agenda.pdf

(as I don't think the list manager really likes 200K attachments:-).

If you're in the area and are interested in grid/cluster/beowulf
computing (or any of the specific topics covered by talks on the
agenda), give it a look and consider attending -- it should be fun.
Again, be sure to contact Michele Blackmon and register if you plan to
attend so that they can be sure to have enough food and room and so
forth; this is their first such conference and may be surprised at the
number of people in the area that are interested.

Duke people interested in going are welcome to contact me about hitching
a ride -- I've got a big car;-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu