queuing systems and cpu usage?

canon at nersc.gov canon at nersc.gov
Fri Jun 6 11:53:48 EDT 2003

Peter,

We use LL on our ~6000 cpu SP system (416 Nighthawk II with
two plane colony interconnect).  We are able to get > 90%
scheduled utilization even with very big jobs (>2048).
While LL is hardly perfect, you should be able to get more
out of it than you stated.  I don't handle the LL config for the system,
so I can tell you any magic bullets.  I'm sure our SP admins
would be happy to give you some suggestions though.

On our 200 node Linux cluster we currently use LSF which
is quite good.  However, we are looking hard at SGE since
it is free, open source, and maturing rapidly.

Let me know if you would like more info.

--Shane

Shane Canon                             voice: 510-486-6981
PSDF Project Lead                       fax:   510-486-7520
National Energy Research Scientific
  Computing Center
1 Cyclotron Road Mailstop 943-256
Berkeley, CA 94720                      canon at nersc.gov