dual Xeon issue

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:41:38 EDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Santiago Muelas wrote:

> - Do not expend money in "better" things. In this aspect, quantity is
> better than "theoretical-quality"
> - Normal ethernet is great and more than enough for 4,5 or 6
> machines.(and an standard switch)
> - Choose the best price-quality possibility.
> - Use "xmpi" and work on your program until the "red" has almost
> disappeared.

<bow>
 Ah, chela, you have done well!
</bow>

<bow>
 Honorable Master beg to offer only one small correction.
</bow>

<bow>
 Suggest do not assume problem of others same as problem of self.
 Sometimes problem need better quality, expensive network, dual
 processors, sometimes not.

 YMMV is the True Tao.

 </whomp object="manual" target="upside head">
</bow>

<bow>
 However, observation that True Tao is optimize price/performance make
 Master very happy, very happy.  Chela is Enlightened.  Master also
 pleased that chela discover superlinear speedup and more.  Suggest chela
 investigate memory bound feature of program -- perhaps dual cpu, one
 memory bus a problem?
</bow>

   rgb

Da "master" feelin' a wee bit lunatic this morning:-) Curiously, I had
just written the following poem and added it to Hot Tea...time to go
look in the mirror and see if those bloodshot eyes are lookin' a little
crazy once again.

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

                 Brilliance and Madness

   True brilliance, my friend, on the edge of madness lies
       So that many a great master has lunatic eyes.
     'Tis an irregular stair that mounts to the skies
       And thus we conclude: it's crazy to be wise!

                From: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Poetry/hot_tea.php