dual Xeon issue

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:41:38 EDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Santiago Muelas wrote:

> - Do not expend money in "better" things. In this aspect, quantity is
> better than "theoretical-quality"
> - Normal ethernet is great and more than enough for 4,5 or 6
> machines.(and an standard switch)
> - Choose the best price-quality possibility.
> - Use "xmpi" and work on your program until the "red" has almost
> disappeared.

 Ah, chela, you have done well!

 Honorable Master beg to offer only one small correction.

 Suggest do not assume problem of others same as problem of self.
 Sometimes problem need better quality, expensive network, dual
 processors, sometimes not.

 YMMV is the True Tao.

 </whomp object="manual" target="upside head">

 However, observation that True Tao is optimize price/performance make
 Master very happy, very happy.  Chela is Enlightened.  Master also
 pleased that chela discover superlinear speedup and more.  Suggest chela
 investigate memory bound feature of program -- perhaps dual cpu, one
 memory bus a problem?

Da "master" feelin' a wee bit lunatic this morning:-) Curiously, I had
just written the following poem and added it to Hot Tea...time to go
look in the mirror and see if those bloodshot eyes are lookin' a little
crazy once again.

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

                 Brilliance and Madness

   True brilliance, my friend, on the edge of madness lies
       So that many a great master has lunatic eyes.
     'Tis an irregular stair that mounts to the skies
       And thus we conclude: it's crazy to be wise!

                From: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Poetry/hot_tea.php