queuing systems and cpu usage?

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Thu Jun 5 23:18:16 EDT 2003

If there are a lot of people submit jobs to
Loadleveler, while Loadlevler is scheduling, then the
performance is not good.

To reduce the impact of job submition, make sure the
spool directory is on a local file system. (a
gridengine cluster was having problem because the
spool directory was on NFS) -- I am assume Loadlevler
is similar to gridengine -- spool directory access
performance is important.

Otherwise, it must be the scheduler performance, then
use Maui.

Lastly, is Loadlevler free?

Thanks, Andrew.

 --- Peter Beerli <beerli at csit.fsu.edu> 的訊息:
> Hi all,
> I am a novice to all clustering and queueing
> systems.
> So far, my cluster needs were satisfied on ad hoc
> cluster to run
> embarrassingly parallel code (MCMC runs). After my
> move, I can use
> time on a IBM Regatta cluster (and I am impatiently
> waiting for my very
> own Linux Athlon cluster). The Regatta cluster is
> running loadleveler which seems to
> have an abysmal job-scheduling performance (it seems
> that currently out of the max=480 cpus
> only 288 are used [4 idle nodes out of 15] and many
> jobs (including mine) are in the queues, waiting).
>
> I would be glad to hear information what schedulers
> you prefer and (preferably)
> also get some numbers of how many nodes and cpus are
> idle under standard load**
> or other appropriate statistics (what is the
> appropriate statistics?).
>
> (this is not really a question for this list but
> some might be able to answer:
> is out regatta loadleveler misconfigured?)
>
> **standard load: too many users submit jobs for the
> queue with the longest time limit,
> very few medium, small  length jobs, most of the
> jobs are obviously only using <32 cpus
> (a node on the regatta has 32 cpus)
>
> thanks,
> Peter
> ----
> Peter Beerli,
> School of Computational Science and Information
> Technology (CSIT)
> Dirac Science Library, Florida State University
> Tallahassee, Florida 32306-4120 USA
> old webpage:

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/PBhtmls/beerli.html

每天都 Yahoo!奇摩