dual Xeon issue

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Thu Jun 5 16:13:37 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:20:47AM -0600, sfrolov at accufo.vwh.net wrote:

> This was surprising to us since we've used to be limited by
> interprocessor communications, which should be a lot faster between
> CPUs in one box.

How much memory bandwidth does your code want? Xeon systems usually
have a memory bus which can be maxed out by a single cpu.

As a by-the-way, Opteron systems, if you get the memory affinity going
correctly, have memory bandwidth that scales as you add more
processors. Also, your request for the "best performance/price ratio
cluster" doesn't have an answer -- different people are going to see
different performance depending on what their application is. That's
doubly true for unusual apps like yours.

-- greg