HyperThreading in Cluster

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Jun 5 16:03:58 EDT 2003

This is partly prompted by Steven Timm's recent comment about
HyperThreading, as well as something I read in a magazine the other day
stating the HPC clusters need to run with HyperThreading off.  Can
anyone shed more light on the current status of HyperThreading in
parallel computing?

I could see where allocating two compute threads to a single processor
might bog things down (swapping data sets in/out of cache, etc.),  but
it would seem ideal to allocate one compute thread per processor, and
let the other virtual processor help with OS/interrupt type operations.
Does the linux scheduler have such control yet?

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222