dual Xeon issue

sfrolov at accufo.vwh.net sfrolov at accufo.vwh.net
Thu Jun 5 10:20:47 EDT 2003

Sorry for a noob-like question. We are in the process of buying a Xeon-based cluster for scientific computing (running MPI parallelized numerical models). We've benchmarked clasters offered by Microway and Aspen Systems and discovered that we are getting much better results using only one CPU per box (running the model on 6 boxes using one CPU in each box was about 50% faster than running it on 3 boxes using both CPUs). This was surprising to us since we've used to be limited by interprocessor communications, which should be a lot faster between CPUs in one box. Can anybody explain the reason for this and, more importantly, is there any way to improve this situation.

Thanks,

Sergei.

P.S. Can anybody recommend the best performance/price ratio cluster?