queuing systems and cpu usage?

Peter Beerli beerli at csit.fsu.edu
Wed Jun 4 23:53:29 EDT 2003

Hi all,
I am a novice to all clustering and queueing systems.
So far, my cluster needs were satisfied on ad hoc cluster to run
embarrassingly parallel code (MCMC runs). After my move, I can use
time on a IBM Regatta cluster (and I am impatiently waiting for my very
own Linux Athlon cluster). The Regatta cluster is running loadleveler which seems to
have an abysmal job-scheduling performance (it seems that currently out of the max=480 cpus
only 288 are used [4 idle nodes out of 15] and many jobs (including mine) are in the queues, waiting).

I would be glad to hear information what schedulers you prefer and (preferably)
also get some numbers of how many nodes and cpus are idle under standard load**
or other appropriate statistics (what is the appropriate statistics?).

(this is not really a question for this list but some might be able to answer:
is out regatta loadleveler misconfigured?)

**standard load: too many users submit jobs for the queue with the longest time limit,
very few medium, small  length jobs, most of the jobs are obviously only using <32 cpus
(a node on the regatta has 32 cpus)

thanks,
Peter
----
Peter Beerli,
School of Computational Science and Information Technology (CSIT)
Dirac Science Library, Florida State University
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-4120 USA
old webpage: http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/PBhtmls/beerli.html