Kill-A-Watt Re: measuring power usage

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 4 00:25:19 EDT 2003

I know someone who has reverse engineered the Kill-A-Watt, as well as done
extensive testing at various power factors and waveforms.  The thing really
does measure actual instantaneous power (averaged over a few cycles), so
weird current waveforms, etc. don't fool it.  It definitely measures active
power vs apparent power (RMS V * RMS I) as well as other parameters..
Accurate to a few percent, which is substantially better than most
inexpensive DMMs.