measuring power usage

Trent Piepho xyzzy at
Tue Jun 3 19:35:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Dave Lane wrote:
> > > google "kill a watt"
> >
> >Yes, very lovely thingie.  There are links to at least one source on the
> >brahma vendors page, and I >>have<< pictures of a kill-a-watt in action,
> >if I ever overcome my innate inertia and post them on the brahma photo
> >tour...

Thanks to all that responded.  Cute pun for a name, but it completely thwarted
my google search for terms like "power factor" and "meter".

BTW, is there a real searchable list archive anywhere?  google groups has
lists.beowulf but it looks like they stopped archiving that in 2000.  The
archives on aren't searchable, unless you try to use a google web
search to find pages that were indexed.

> There is nothing in the flier that indicates that it measures rms amps and
> hence rms watts. Computers are not resistive loads and they draw current in

It measures power factor and frequency, so it should be doing what is
necessary to find true rms.