Data corruption w/ tg3 and bcm5700 drivers

Donald Becker becker at
Tue Jun 3 17:36:25 EDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, William R.Pearson wrote:

> We have had terrible problems with the tg3/bcm5700 drivers as well,
> but only on our head machines with dual 3Com996 boards.

We use the bcm5700 driver with our distribution.  Although we have to
frequently update it to support new IDs, it has been much more reliable
than the tg3 driver.

The tg3 driver has had many new versions that claim to have fixed all of
the serious problems with the previous version, and be even faster.  But
some of the new versions are closely tied to subtle interface changes in
2.5, which makes it risky to just back-port to production kernels
without careful study of what the changes mean.

[[ Of course, I have strong personal opinions about network driver API
changes, backward compatible stable driver releases and the difficulty
of keeping driver code working.  I'm not above saying "not as easy as it
looks from the outside, eh?". ]]

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993