Data corruption w/ tg3 and bcm5700 drivers

Selva Nair selva at mailaps.org
Tue Jun 3 16:26:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Bryan K. Wright wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 	We're having some problems with the tg3 and bcm5700 drivers,
> and I was hoping somebody out there might have a clue to share.
>
> 	We have several boxes based on the GA-7DPXDW+ motherboard,
> with 3c996 network cards.  (According to the bcm5700 driver, these
> identify themselves as BCM95700A6.)
>
> 	We've tried both the bcm5700 driver and a couple of versions
> of the tg3 driver (1.2 and 1.5) with similar results.  We've tried the
> tg3 drivers with both the "stock" Red Hat 2.4.18-5 kernel (from RH
> 7.2) and with the openMosix 2.4.20-openmosix2 kernel.

I have had very similar issues with the 3com 996 cards using Redhat
7.0-&.2 kernels. I switched to the Broadcom BCM5700 driver distributed by
Broadcom Corporation and the network is pretty stable under constant heavy
load since then. I use their driver source version 2.0.32 (release date:
01/02/2002) rebuilt locally. I cant recall where I downloaded the sources
from.

Selva