Data corruption w/ tg3 and bcm5700 drivers

William R.Pearson wrp at alpha0.bioch.virginia.edu
Tue Jun 3 15:55:11 EDT 2003

We have had terrible problems with the tg3/bcm5700 drivers as well,
but only on our head machines with dual 3Com996 boards.

We have not tried a new kernel for the past 3 months, but before
that we tried everything from 2.4.18-3 to 2.4.20, the ONLY two
versions of the kernel that were stable for several hours were
2.4.18-3 (original with RH7.3) and 2.4.18-4.  We have not
had any problems with machines with a single 3Com996 NIC (our
nodes).

We are very frustrated with dual 3Com996 support, as there have
been at least 4 kernel upgrades that specifically mentioned this
problem, and none of them have fixed it.

Our machines are dual 1 GHz PIII with supermicro MBs.

Bill Pearson