Help: different kernel images for slaves.

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 3 11:29:59 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Laing" <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
To: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 3:51 PM
Subject: RE: Help: different kernel images for slaves.

> Andrew,
>
> This would work but I forgot to mention that these are diskless
> workstations.  Under bproc there is a setting in the
> /etc/beowulf/config for kernel image but I cannot find any
> documentation for assigning or allocating a different kernel for
> different machines.
>
> I will look at kickstart though to see if it would work and install on
> each system.

You can do diskless installs using Linux Terminal Server Project
http://www.ltsp.org

/etc/dhcpd.conf and creating an entry for each workstation.
The LTSP documentation gives an example,
where 'filename' is the path to the kernel for that particular workstation:

group {
    use-host-decl-names       on;
    option log-servers        192.168.0.254;

    host ws001 {
        hardware ethernet     00:E0:18:E0:04:82;
        fixed-address         192.168.0.1;
        filename              "/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
    }
}

I stress that I haven't actually DONE this - though I have set up and demoed
LTSP.

The OSCAR people are also working on OSCAR-lite, though I don't know if you
can
distribute different kernels using it.
LTSP might be a good way for you to go - I can help you getting it running,
though the documentation
is good.