Help: different kernel images for slaves.

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at
Tue Jun 3 03:11:14 EDT 2003

This might not help, but from what I've been told (I'm due to try it in our
16 node cluster soon) you can use the Kickstart program to distribute
different versions of most of the software in RH across the network. I'm
sure you should be able to do the same with the kernel too (I hope so...)

Hope this helps a bit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Laing [mailto:Robin.Laing at]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 10:26 PM
To: beowulf at
Subject: Help: different kernel images for slaves.

I am involved with adding some SMP machines to our small cluster and I
am trying to find out how I tell the new machines to run the SMP
kernel instead of the default in the /var/beowulf/config file.

We are running RH 9 and BPpoc.

Our present system is working with single processor boot image and the
SMP machines will boot with only one processor working.  I have
compiled a SMP kernel to test but I cannot just change the boot kernel
for all the other machines.

Presently in /var/beowulf are:
	boot.img	nodeboot.img	nodeinfo

I want to add boot_smp.img

I have not seen any documentation on configuring /etc/beowulf/config
to work with more than one boot image.

Is it possible to define which nodes boot with which kernel?

Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist       Voice: 1.403.544.4762
Military Engineering Section       FAX:   1.403.544.4704
Defence R&D Canada - Suffield      Email: Robin.Laing at
PO Box 4000, Station Main          WWW:
Medicine Hat, AB, T1A 8K6

 NNC Limited
 Booths Hall
 Chelford Road
 WA16 8QZ
 Country of Registration: United Kingdom
 Registered Number: 1120437
 are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
 the NNC system manager by e-mail at eadm at