Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Mon Jun 2 19:55:24 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:48:22PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli's all...
  >On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Ken Chase wrote:

  >> Since power & cooling is almost always free for .edu's, yes, .edu cluster
  >> design and others' will be extremely different.
  >
  >I'm not entirely clear on the compatibility of the phrase "Since power &
  >cooling is almost always free for .edu's," and the phrase "massive chiller
  >upgrade required". clusters especially large ones have real costs
  >associated with power, space, and cooling that can't been hidden in your
  >general budget...

I was generalizing a bit too harshly, but two of the designs we've shipped
out to universities were free from any considerations of power, cooling
or total cost of operation. :) Kinda nice to be free of the more difficult
aspects of design!

However, other designs of clusters and similar systems (server farms)
are pathologically encumbered with such considerations to the point that
they're they major concern.

Both situations give rise to radically different designs, and whoever was
questioning the use of the Eden must not have encountered these requirements.

/kc

--
Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, Canada
Wiznet Velocet DSL.ca Datavaults  24/7: 416-967-4414  tollfree: 1-866-353-0363