Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart

Sam Daniel samhdaniel at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 11:10:29 EDT 2003

The only problem with these is that the C3-933 runs all floating point
at half the processor speed. If you're trying to really solve a problem,
that could be a big drawback. For a home system, it wouldn't be so bad.

Unless you really need the 1U form factor, you can beat the price by
nearly 50% by putting together the same hardware in a mini-atx or
mid-tower case of your own choosing.

VIA recently released the C3-1GHz with a new core, called "Nehemiah",
which is supposed to run the FPU at full speed, but I haven't seen
confirmation of that in any tests yet. The cost will only be $10-$20
more than the C3-933. Using the new processor will make these systems a
lot more attractive, with even lower power consumption than the C3-933.

Sam