Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Jun 1 23:47:25 EDT 2003

Via EPiA M-6000 motherboard/chipset combo (at least that's what I
recall, but the EPiA V looks closer to what I installed...) with an SiS
onboard audio chipset, 10/100 ethernet onboard VGA video chipset, and
"tv-out" in both S-Video and composite (RCA jack).  I'm running it with
a 40 GB Maxtor (boought solely on price as there was nothing smaller
available for less money at the time).  I added a Hayes 56k V92 modem
because what I'm planning to do is poll a bunch of automated weather
sites for data and they are all dial-up...

Check out:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_v_spec.jsp?motherboardId=141
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp?motherboardId=21

The case I found (at Fry's) was $79; short of going into the office
tonight I'll have to look on outpost.com  -- darn!  Not there.  I'll try
to find the info on the case, but it comes with a wall wart for AC
power, and there's a 12v coaxial DC jack on the case...

I'm not at all sure I'd use it for a compute cluster, but it might do
some low-end work and it is certainly is a low-heat/low power solution.

Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173