Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart - mini-itx

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Mon Jun 2 18:24:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:02:24AM -0700, Alvin Oga's all...

  >hi ya
  >
  >On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Mike Eggleston wrote:
  >
  >> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
  >>
  >> > I've got a Via Epia Mini-ITX board I've gotten for another project.  We
  >> > loaded RH 9 via PXE-Boot (with particular thanks to RGB!), as in, a
  >> > normal install rather than diskless boot.  Works great.  I've got the
  >> > slowest, equivalent to a 600 MHz Celeron, but that's all I needed for
  >> > this project... in fact, overkill.
  >> >
  >> > Runs pretty cool, even with just the 2 puny little case fans, and can be
  >> > driven off a 12v Wall Wart (?tm?; should I trade mark it?  no...) at
  >> > less than 5a.  The wart I have is rated for 4.5a, but I've not measured
  >> > it yet.
  >
  >we did lots of testing on that 12v dc-dc input to the  mini-itx mb
  >( well, www.mini-box.com folks did all the testing and ordering of the
  >( custom 12v dc-to-dc atx power supply

Any numbers on the PF of these ac-to-dv (then to dc) floor-brick-with-
power-cables xformers? I suspect this stuff isnt worth anything til you
run it off a site-wide 12V infrastructure to get a good PF rating.

/kc
--
Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, Canada
Wiznet Velocet DSL.ca Datavaults  24/7: 416-967-4414  tollfree: 1-866-353-0363