Interesting read - Canada's fastest computer...

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Wed Jul 30 18:20:54 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:06:05PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:

> Anyone have any idea what range of latencies and bandwidths are
> observed on that machine (as visible to MPI)?

A bisection bandwidth histrogram is at the bottom of:

http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/webpages/mckenzie/tech/networking/index.html

You can tell these guys are physicists: they didn't just print the
average.

I'd guess latency in the cube network isn't very good, because they're
using Linux to forward packets. Given that, it's impressive how good
the bisection bandwidth is. Eventually the price of 10gig trunking is
going to fall to the point where it's better than this kind of
setup... until the wheel of reincarnation turns again, and we're using
10 gig links to the nodes.

-- greg