Cisco switches for lam mpi

Jack Douglas jd89313 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 12:37:37 EDT 2003

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me

We have just installed a 32 Node Dual Xeon Cluster, with a Cisco Cataslyst
4003 Chassis with 48 1000Base-t ports.

We are running LAM MPI over gigabit, but we seem to be experiencing
bottlenecks within the switch

Typically, using the cisco, we only see CPU utilisation of around 30-40%

Howver, we experimented with a Foundry Switch, and were seeing cpu
utilisation on the same job of around 80 - 90%.

We know that there are commands to "open" the cisco, but the ones we have
been advised dont seem to do the trick.

Was the cisco a bad idea? If so can someone recommend a good Gigabit switch
for MPI?  I have heard HP Procurves are supposed to be pretty good.

Or does anyone know any other commands that will open the Cisco switch
further getting the performance up

Best Regards

JD