Dell Linux mailing list - testing

Alvin Oga alvin at
Tue Jul 29 18:41:23 EDT 2003

hi ya angel

lets good ... i think i shall post a reply to the list ..

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Angel Rivera wrote:

> > i qa/qc my own boxes for production use ...
> Normally, when we get our boxes, they have been burned in for at least 72
> hours by the vendor.

yes... that's the "claim" ...

if we say its been burnt in for 72 hrs...
	- they get a list of times and dates ...
	- i prefer to do infinite kernel compiles
	( rm -rf /tmp/linux-2.x ; cp -par linux-2.x /tmp ; make bzImage ;
	  date-stamp )
	( a dumb/simple/easy test that runs few standard operations )

> Then we beat them using our suit of programs for a
> week. If there are any problems, the clock gets reset.

yes... that is the trick .... to get a god set of test suites

>  Not always a very
> popular way of doing things, but it keeps bad boxes to a very low roar.  I

keeping testing costs time down and "start testing process all over is

testing and diags

and everybody has their own idea of what tests to do .. and "its
considered tested" ... or the depth of the tests..

1st tests should be visual ..
	- check the bios time stamps and version
	- check the batch levels of the pcb
	- check the manufacturer of the pcb and the chips on sdrams
	- blah ... dozens of things to inspect

than the power up tests
	- run diags to read bios version numbers
	- run diags for various purposes

- diagnostics and testing should be 100% automated including
  generating failure and warning notices
	- people tend to get lazy or go on vacation
	and most are not as meticulous about testing foo-stuff
	while the other guyz might care that bar-stuff works

- testing is very very expensive ...
	- getting known good mb, cpu, mem, disk, fans
	( repeatedly ) is the key ...

	- problem is some vendors discontinue their mb in 2 months
	so the whole testing clock start over again

	- in our case, its cheaper to find smaller distributors
	that have inventory of the previously tested known good mb
	that we like

- if it aint broke... leave it alone .. if its doing its job :-)

c ya