Dell Linux mailing list

Angel Rivera angel at wolf.com
Mon Jul 28 21:53:37 EDT 2003

Alvin Oga writes:

> a good box works out of the crate ( outof the box ) and keeps
> working for years and years.. and keeps working even if you
> open the covers and fiddle with the insides

Sounds great on paper, but...

When one buys hundreds of boxes at a whack, the major issue, besides the
normal shipping ones, is going to be the firmware differences between the
boxes which has a tendency to bite you that the most inopportune moment.
Dell is no worse than some and a lot better than others.

We drive a real production commercial cluster.  I would NEVER open an in
service production box.  Messing up a production run results in serious
money(and time)being lost.