Infiniband: cost-effective switchless configurations

Alan Ward award at andorra.ad
Sun Jul 27 04:03:14 EDT 2003

If I understand correctly, you need all-to-all connectivity?
Do all the nodes need to access the whole data set, or only
share part of the data set between a few nodes each time?

I had a case where I wanted to share the whole data
set between all nodes, using point-to-point Ethernet connections
(no broadcast). I put them in a ring, so that with e.g. four nodes:

    A -----> B -----> C -----> D
    ^                          |
    |                          |
     --------------------------

Node A sends its data, plus C's and D's to node B.
Node B sends its data, plus D's and A's to node C.
Node C sends its data, plus A's and B's to node D
Node D sends its data, plus B's and C's to node A.

Data that has done (N-1) hops is no longer forwarded.

We used a single Java program with 3 threads on each node:

- one to receive data and place it in a local array
- one to forward finished data to the next node
- one to perform calculations

The main drawback is that you need a smart algorithm to determine
which pieces of data are "new" and which are "used"; i.e. have
been used for calculation and been forwarded to the next node,
and can be chucked out to make space. Ours wasn't smart enough :-(

Alan Ward

En/na Mikhail Kuzminsky ha escrit: