Comparing MPI Implementations

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Thu Jul 24 16:13:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Andrew Fant wrote:

> Does anyone have any experiences comparing MPI implementations for Linux?
> In particular, I am interested in people's views of the relative merits of
> Mpich, LAM, and MPIPro.  I currently have Mpich installed on our
> production cluster, but this decision came mostly out of default, rather
> than by any serious study.

One easy way to compare is to use the NAS test suite in the
Beowulf Performance Suite. You can very easily run the NAS suite with
MPICH, LAM, and MPI-PRO, (and compilers, numbers of cpus, and test size)
The suite does not include the MPI versions.

Have  a look at:

www.cluster-rant.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/17/1838236

for links and example output.

I have not had a chance to post some recent results, but I can say
the following:

Given the same hardware for all MPI's:

 - it depends on the application
 - it depends if you are using dual nodes running two
   copies of your program.
 - it depends on the version you use

How is that for a simple answer.

Doug

> Thanks in advance,
> 		Andy
>
> Andrew Fant      |   This    |  "If I could walk THAT way...
> Molecular Geek   |   Space   |     I wouldn't need the talcum powder!"
> fant at pobox.com   |    For    |          G. Marx (apropos of Aerosmith)
> Boston, MA USA   |   Hire    |    http://www.pharmawulf.com

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com