Thermal Problems

Ken Light klight at appliedthermalsciences.com
Thu Jul 24 16:16:54 EDT 2003

I think there are a lot of compromises in this layout.  The centrifugal
blower in the back looks like it is helping mostly the power supply, not the
CPUs.  The CPU fans doesn't look like they are being very effective when the
top of the case goes on and the little muffin fans near the memory are
notoriously inefficient when you present them with any kind of flow
restriction like that duct.  I would be tempted to experiment with different
CPU heat sinks and a bigger blower on front to move air over them.  The
following links show some views of a pretty good Xeon setup.  Maybe you can
get some ideas of things to try (by the way, the CPUs are under the paper).
The case is custom from Microway Inc. and is pretty deep, but the extra
space makes for a good layout.  Good luck.

http://www.clusters.umaine.edu/xeon/

-Ken