Dell 1600SC + 82540EM poor performance..HELP NEEDED

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jul 24 09:47:22 EDT 2003

And for the 802.3u impaired, you need to A) either set speed and duplex
settings on your switch AND NIC to fixed values (preferably matching
each other) or B) leave them all at Auto/Auto for switch and NIC(s).

For those who haven't wandered past the negotiation between switch and
NIC recently, if you fix any value, negotiation will fail and the
devices will go to default settings, ie., something resembling a
consistent speed between the 2 and half-duplex.  But not even that is
guaranteed.

Note that I've also received recent reports of horrid GBE performance on
Serverworks botherboards with the internal E-1000 NIC.  I've not been
able to identify a cause (Don?  Thoughts?  Definitive info?) but I've
been able to reproduce it.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173