Thermal Problems

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Thu Jul 24 09:33:09 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Mitchel Kagawa wrote:

> Here are a few pictures of the culprite.  Any suggestions on how to fix it
> other than buying a whole new case would be appreciated
> http://neptune.navships.com/images/oscarnode-front.jpg
> http://neptune.navships.com/images/oscarnode-side.jpg
> http://neptune.navships.com/images/oscarnode-back.jpg
>
> You can also see how many I'm down... it should read 65 nodes (64 + 1 head
> node)
> http://neptune.navships.com/ganglia
>
> Mitchel Kagawa
> Systems Administrator

The Intel Xeon ships with an interesting heat sink/fan/shroud system.
For an normal case, you can mount the fan on the top of the shroud which
makes it work much like a "normal" heat sink/fan...the air comes in the
top and blows down onto the CPU.  But, for low-profile installations (mine
were 2U), the fan attaches to the side of the shroud to form a "wind
tunnel."  Maybe a similar solution would exist in your case, i.e., taller
heat sinks (~1") with one or two fans mounted on the side blowing across
the heat sink.  I did a quick search online, but couldn't find a vendor
for this type heat sink.  Sorry.

You might be able to experiment.  Fans are usually only held in place with
oversized screws that go easily into soft heat sinks.  You can probably
build a pair of test heat sinks in 10 minutues.  The flow from the fan
should be aligned with the fins.  Depending on the type of heatsink you
start with, you might be able to direct the output flow in any direction
you choose.  From the photos, I would recommend that you place the fans on
the side of the heat sink near the front of the case so the exhaust is
directed to the vents at the rear of the case.

Good luck,

Mike Prinkey
Aeolus Research, Inc.