Dell 1600SC + 82540EM poor performance..HELP NEEDED

Jim Phillips jim at ks.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:21:58 EDT 2003

Hi,

The 82540EM is a low-cost 32-bit "desktop" NIC, so it's hard to get full
gigabit bandwidth, particularly if you're running at 33 MHz (look at
/proc/net/PRO_LAN_Adapters/eth0/PCI_Bus_Speed to find out).  There are no
82540EM-based PCI-X cards, AFAIK; are you sure it wasn't a 64-bit 82545EM
card?  Intel distinguishes their 32-bit 33/66 MHz PCI PRO/1000 MT Desktop
cards that use 82540EM from their 64-bit PCI-X PRO/1000 MT Server cards
that use the 82545EM (and have full gigabit performance).

-Jim