Dell 1600SC + 82540EM poor performance..HELP NEEDED

Stephane.Martin at imag.fr Stephane.Martin at imag.fr
Thu Jul 24 08:37:11 EDT 2003

Hello,

We have recently received 48 Bi-xeon Dell 1600SC and we are performing some benchmarks to tests the cluster.
Unfortunately we have very bad perfomance with the internal gigabit card (82540EM chipset). We have passed linux netperf test and we have only 33 Mo
between 2 machines. We have changed the drivers for the last ones, installed procfgd and so on... Finally we had Win2000 installed and the last driver
from intel installed : the results are identical... To go further we have installed a PCI-X 82540EM card and re-run the tests : in that way the
results are much better : 66 Mo full duplex...
So the question is : is there a well known problem with this DELL 1600SC concernig the 82540EM integration on the motherboard ????
As anyone already have (heard about) this problem ?
Is there any solution ?

thx for your help

Regards,

Stephane Martin         Stephane.Martin at imag.fr