channel bonding on SuSE

Jyh-Shyong Ho c00jsh00 at nchc.gov.tw
Sat Jul 19 05:40:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

Has anyone successfully set up channel bonding in SuSE?
I tried and failed many times and I think it might be the time
to ask for help.
I am using SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for AMD 64,
and I tried to set up the channel bonding for the two
Broadcom gigabit LAN ports on the HDAMA motherboard (for
dual Opteron CPUs).
I followed the instructions in .../Documentation/networking/bonding.txt:

1. modify file /etc/modules.conf to include the line:

alias bond0 bonding
probeall bond0 eth0 eth1 bonding

2. create ifenslave

3. create /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-bond0
   as

DEVICE=bond0
IPADDR=192.168.3.60
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.3.0
BROADCAST=192.168.3.255
ONBOOT=yes
STARTMODE='onboot'
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no

and modify file ifcfg-eth0 as

BROADCAST='192.168.3.255'
IPADDR='192.168.3.10'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.3.0'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='onboot'
UNIQUE='QOEa.mRtDs8d6UMD'
WIRELESS='no'
DEVICE='eth0'
USERCTL='no'
ONBOOT='yes'
MASTER='bond0'
SLAVE='yes'
BOOTPROTO='none'

and modify file ifcfg-eth1 as

BROADCAST='192.168.3.255'
IPADDR='192.168.3.40'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.3.0'
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='onboot'
UNIQUE='QOEa.mRtDs8d6UMD'
WIRELESS='no'
DEVICE='eth1'
USERCTL='no'
ONBOOT='yes'
MASTER='bond0'
SLAVE='yes'
BOOTPROTO='none'

4. then I tried several ways to bring up the interface bond0:

a.   ifup bond0
     this caused the system hang, and have to reboot the system

b.   /etc/init.d/network restart
     or
     reboot
     did not bring up bond0

c.   /sbin/ifconfig bond0 192.168.3.60 netmask 255.255.255.0 \
      broadcast 192.168.3.255 up

      this caused the system hang, and have to reboot the system

I did make the kernel and made sure that Network Devices/bonding devices
was made as a module.

I have no idea how to proceed next, so if someone has the experience,
please help.

Regards

Jyh-Shyong Ho, PhD.
Research Scientist
National Center for High-Performance Computing
Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC