Empty passwords vs ssh-agent?

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Fri Jul 18 15:04:52 EDT 2003

I'm currently switching our system from using r-commands to ssh.  We
have a fairly small system with 27 nodes.  The only two options I can
see with ssh are empty passwords and ssh-agent.  The first looks like it
isn't much better for security than r commands.  (We do have ssh with
passwords and known hosts on a portal machine.)  Using ssh-agent on a
cluster looks like a potentially big hassle.  Or am I mistaken about the
last impression?  After all, we have nodes that are almost hitting up
time of 400 days so ssh-add would only have been run once for each
cluster user.

What are people using as the clusters get bigger?

Thanks is advance for your comments and thought!

Cheers,

John Harrop