NFS problem

Jyh-Shyong Ho c00jsh00 at nchc.gov.tw
Wed Jul 16 05:12:42 EDT 2003

Hi,

I set up a small cluster of 4+1 nodes, directories /home, /usr/local,
/opt and /workraid
of the master node are exported to slave nodes. With /etc/fstab defined
as nfs file system
on slave nodes and file /etc/exports defined in the master node, the NFS
should work.
However, not all of these directories are mounted when these slave nodes
are rebooted,
I always get the message when the system tries to mount the NFS
directories:

RPC portmapper failure: unable to receive

When the system is up, I can mount these directories manually. The
booting message does
include the line:

Starting RPC portmap daemon.....done

Could anyone point out what might be wrong or where to check?

Jyh-Shyong Ho, PhD.
Research Scientist
National Center for High-Performance Computing
Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC