Global Shared Memory and SCI/Dolphin

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Wed Jul 16 07:04:57 EDT 2003

Hello,

  being in the process of deciding which net infrastructure to use for our
next cluster (Myrinet, SCI/Dolphin or Quadrics), I was looking at the
specs for the different types of hw.

  Provided that SCI/Dolphin implements RDMA, I was wondering why so little
effort seems to be put into implementing a GSM solution for x86 clusters.
The only (maybe big, maybe not) problem I see in the Dolphin hw is the
lack of support for cache coherency.

  I think that having GSM support in (almost) commodity clusters would be
a really-nice-thing(tm).

  I know that the Altix family implements GSM, but the price point of even
a really small system (4 x Itanium2 procs, 4 Gb ram, 36 Gb HD) is really
high, compared to an (performance wise) equivalent commodity cluster. And
I can really see that SGI had a nice ccNUMA hw already developed, and so
the software effort to implement GSM has (probabily) been less massive
than the effort a Dolphin GSM solution would need.

  Nonetheless, I still can't quite understand why so little effort is
being put in developing a GSM solution for commodity cluster (even with
Myrinet or Quadrics, I'm thinking about SCI/Dolphin only because of the hw
support for RDMA operations).

  Any idea, comment or whatever ?

  Have a nice day everyone,

Franz

Franz Marini
Sys Admin and Software Analyst,
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it