When are diskless compute nodes inappropriate?

Nicholas Henke henken at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:27:18 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 11:48, Tod Hagan wrote:

> With all the arguments against disks, what are the arguments in favor
> of diskful compute nodes? In particular, what are the situations or
> types of jobs for which a cluster with a high percentage of diskless
> nodes is contraindicated?

Anytime that accessing the data locally is faster than via NFS/OtherFS.
The other case is when you are routinely using swap for memory.

The one 'practical' situation we see here is on our Genomics cluster,
where they are running BLAST on very large data sets. It makes an
extremely large difference to copy the data to a local drive and use
that than to access the data via NFS.

HTH,
Nic
--
Nicholas Henke
Penguin Herder & Linux Cluster System Programmer