kernel level ip-config and nic driver as a module

Antti Vanne vanne at venda.uku.fi
Thu Jul 10 10:06:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm building my second beowulf cluster and ran into trouble with 3com
940 network interface chip that is embedded in the mobo. DHCP works
fine, client gets IP, but tftp won't load the pxelinux.0, it tries twice
(according to the in.tftpd's log), but the client doesn't try to look
for pxelinux.cfg/C0... config files. I have one similar setup working
using the Intel e1000, and according to
http://syslinux.zytor.com/hardware.php there's been trouble with 3com
cards, so I figure the fault is not in the config but in the network
chip.

The best option would be PXE (anyone have a working pxe setup
with 3c940?), but since it seems impossible, I'm trying to boot
clients from floppy and use nfsroot: however the driver for 3c940 is
available (from www.asus.com) only as kernel module, and
unfortunately kernel runs ip-config before loading the module from
initrd?!? How is this fixed? I'm not really a kernel hacker, obviously
one could browse the kernel source and look for ip-config and module
that network module would be loaded before running ip-config? Any help
would be greatly appreciated. If there is no easy way to change the
order, what would be the next thing to do? Have minimal root
filesystem on the floppy and then nfs-mount /usr etc. from the server?