gentoo cluster

Russell Nordquist nordquist at geosci.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 10 01:37:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 at 23:14, P. Aaron Lott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our group is interested in building a beowulf cluster using gentoo
> linux as the OS. Has anyone on the list had experience with this or
> know anyone who has experience with this? We're trying to figure out
> the best way to spawn nodes once we have configured one machine
> properly. Any suggestions such as pseudo kickstart methods would be
> greatly appreciated.

If all the nodes are identical hw wise, systemimager (with network boot)
is an easy way to go for any flavor of linux. come to think of it, they
may not need to be that identical as long as your kernel support the
hardware. a search for "cloning" on freshmeat gives a few others.

i'd be interested in how you gentoo-beowulf goes...i'm sure someone else
is running one, but i don't know of any.

russell

> Thanks,
>
> Aaron
>

> palott at math.umd.edu