Linux support for AMD Opteron with Broadcom NICs

Martin Siegert siegert at
Tue Jul 8 15:09:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:48:08PM -0700, Martin Siegert wrote:

> I have a dual AMD Opteron for a week or so as a demo and try to install
> Linux on it - so far with little success.
> For those of you who have such a box: which distribution are you using?
> Any advice on how to get those GigE Broadcom NICs to work?

Thanks to all of you who have responded with suggestions and pointers.
In the end this did turn out to be a hardware problem (this NICs plainly
did not work) and had nothing to do with the drivers and the distributions
that I tried. I am going to get another Opteron box and then will try once

Martin Siegert
Manager, Research Services
WestGrid Site Manager
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at
Canada  V5A 1S6