GinGin64 on Opteron

Jyh-Shyong Ho c00jsh00 at nchc.gov.tw
Sun Jul 6 05:43:21 EDT 2003

Hi,

This afternoon I tried to install RedHat's GinGig64 on our
dual Opteron box (Riowork HDAMA motherboard with 8GB RAM) and
found that the installation script failed at the initiation stage
of system checking, the installation script only works
normally when the memory size is reduced to 4GB (4 1GB RAM).
I wonder if anyone has tried this and has the similar finding.

On the other hand, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for AMD64
works fine for system with 8GB RAM. However, Unlike RedHat,
SuSE SLES8 does not load 3w-xxxx driver before initiating the
installation, so the installation script does not recognize
device such as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc, created by 3Ware
RAID card earlier. I suspect that part of the reason might be
caused by the power supply on my system is not large enough
(460W for 9 120GB hard disks, a dual opteron motherboard,
and 8GB RAM). I'll replace the power supply and try again
next week.

Jyh-Shyong Ho, PhD.
Research Scientist
National Center for High-Performance Computing
Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC