Kickstart ks.cfg file example for headless node

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at pgs.com
Fri Jul 4 18:12:27 EDT 2003

Torsten,
If using redhat, try their kickstart configurator for a basic
configuration.  Here's a list of packages I use for compute nodes on a
redhat 7.1 cluster :

%packages
@ Networked Workstation
@ Kernel Development
@ Development
@ Network Management Workstation
@ Utilities
autofs
dialog
lsof
ORBit
XFree86
audiofile
control-panel
dialog
esound
gnome-audio
gnome-libs
gtk+
imlib
kaffe
linuxconf
libungif
modemtool
netcfg
pythonlib
tcl
timetool
tix
tk
tkinter
tksysv
wu-ftpd
ntp
pdksh
ncurses
ncurses-devel
ncurses4
compat-egcs
compat-egcs-c++
compat-egcs-g77
compat-egcs-objc
compat-glibc
compat-libs
compat-libstdc++
xosview
quota
expect
uucp

I can't send you the entire kickstart, since it contains information
relevant to the company I work for ( not to mention everyone would hate
me for filling their inbox... ).  This list would probably need to be
updated for what version you're using.  I'll send you ( off-list ) a
kickstart that I use for redhat9 workstations that doesn't contain
anything sensitive, it contains some examples of scripting post-install
configuration and whatnot.
Oh, redhat maintains excellent documentation :
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/
Regards,
Derek R.

torsten wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone have a kickstart file (ks.cfg) that they
>use for a very minimal install on a headless node?
>
>Thanks,
>Torsten

Linux Administrator
derek.derekson at pgs.com
derek.derekson at ieee.org
Office 713-781-4000
Cell 713-817-1197
A list is only as strong as its weakest link.
		-- Don Knuth