Small PCs cluster

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Jul 4 13:29:16 EDT 2003

Relatively speaking the Shuttle cases, while small for a P4 or Athelon
processor class machine, are pretty big compared to the Mini-ITX
systems.  However, the heat-pipes seem to do a pretty good job of
off-loading heat and making the heat-exchanger available to ambient air.

I've not built a cluster so far using this sort of case, but I've got a
lot of past heat-pipe experience.  I'd be tring to maintain a low inlet
temperature to the rack, and a fairly high, and (uncharacteristically)
non-laminar airflow through the rack.  The idea is to get as much
airflow incident to the heat-pipe heat exchanger as possible.

We did a fair bit of heat-pipe work while I was at NASA.  We found cood
radiative characteristics in heat-pipe heat exchangers (the heat-pipes
wouldn't have worked otherwise!) but they work best when they combine
both convective and radiative modes and use a cool-air transport.

I've got a number of isolated small-form-factor PCs now running.  I've
seen no instability with the integrated components in any of these.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173