sharing a power supply

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 4 13:55:34 EDT 2003

If quiet and compact is your goal, then maybe getting some standard smaller
supplies and doing some repackaging might be a better solution.  Pull the
fans out of the small supplies, mount them with some ducting and use 1 or 2
larger diameter fans.  In general a larger diameter fan will move more air,
more quietly, than a small diameter fan.

You're already straying into non-standard application of the parts, so
opening up the power supplies is hardly a big deal.  You might find that
using 3 small 200W supplies might be a better way to go than 1 monster 450W
supply.

There are also conduction cooled power supplies available (no fans at all)