sharing a power supply

Alan Ward award at andorra.ad
Fri Jul 4 03:53:42 EDT 2003

Hi Alvin

En/na Alvin Oga ha escrit:
(snip)
> 450W power supply doesnt mean anything ...
> its the total amps per each delivered voltages
> that yoou should be looking at  and how well you
> want it regulated ...  there's not much room
> for noise on the +3.3v power lines and it uses
> lots of current on some of the memory sticks

I am. As has been noted, it looks like there's very
little draw on 3.3V; we are way above specs.
You are right about 5V and spikes, though. Have to
try and see. Luckily, I have no other 5V devices
in the box (I think :-).

This 450W is given for 45A/5v and 25A/3.3V, with a
250W limit across these two lines.

> if the idea of hooking up 4 systems to one ps was
> to reduce heat and increase reliability, i think
> using multiple systems on a ps designed for one
> fully loaded mb/system will give you the opposite
> reliability effect

This is a small mobile console type system, on wheels.
The idea is to move it around from one desk to another,
so different people can litteraly get their hands on it.
Having little noise (thus fans) is about as important
as pure computing power at this stage - I need to have
them buy the concept first. The design isn't too bad;
the pics will be on the web ASAP.

Best regards,
Alan