memory nightmare

Fri Jul 4 03:19:39 EDT 2003

hi ya

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> With regards to your message :
> >From: Jack Wathey <wathey at salk.edu>
> >To: Stephen Gaudet <sgaudet at wildopensource.com>
> >cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
> >Subject: Re: memory nightmare
> >
> >I suppose it's remotely possible, but not likely.  All of the boards will
> >run memtest86 for many days, and my number-crunching code for many weeks,
> >with no problems at all, when I use memory from the batch I bought last
> >December.  Most of the failing sticks I've encountered since April will
> >fail consistently, whether tested alone or with other sticks, whether
> >tested on my Gigabyte GA7DPXDW-P boards or the Asus A7M266D board that I
> >use in my server.  It's only a few sticks in the most recent batch of 69
> >that are failing in this rare and intermittent way that I can't seem to
> >reproduce when the sticks are tested one per motherboard.

ditto that ...

all the generic 1GB mem sticks  ( ddr-2100) work fine by itself
but fails big time with 2 of um in the same mb ...
	( wasted about a months of productivity during the random failures
	( and no failures since using 4x 512MB sticks

we wound up replacing the cheap asus mb with intel D845/D865 series and
changed to 4x 512MB sticks instead and it worked fine

similarly, for finicky mb, we used name brand memory 256MB ddr-2100, and
it worked fine  ...

> Have you tried raising the memory voltage level on the motherboards to 2.7V ?
> I see characteristics of failure  like you have described on many cheap
> motherboards.
> Works fine with 1 stick, errors with 3 sticks of RAM.

forgetful memory is not a good thing

c ya
alvin