memory nightmare

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Jul 4 02:43:12 EDT 2003

With regards to your message :
>From: Jack Wathey <wathey at salk.edu>
>To: Stephen Gaudet <sgaudet at wildopensource.com>
>cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
>Subject: Re: memory nightmare
>
>I suppose it's remotely possible, but not likely.  All of the boards will
>run memtest86 for many days, and my number-crunching code for many weeks,
>with no problems at all, when I use memory from the batch I bought last
>December.  Most of the failing sticks I've encountered since April will
>fail consistently, whether tested alone or with other sticks, whether
>tested on my Gigabyte GA7DPXDW-P boards or the Asus A7M266D board that I
>use in my server.  It's only a few sticks in the most recent batch of 69
>that are failing in this rare and intermittent way that I can't seem to
>reproduce when the sticks are tested one per motherboard.
>

>Jack

Have you tried raising the memory voltage level on the motherboards to 2.7V ?
I see characteristics of failure  like you have described on many cheap
motherboards.
Works fine with 1 stick, errors with 3 sticks of RAM.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3